2 hrs 25 mins
These are really very good restaurant quality Chiles Rellenos good enough to serve for company. They can be labor intensive, but if making ahead, it can be simplified and easily put together. Pares well with retried beans and rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 poblano chiles
- 2 -2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, and drumsticks skinned
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 3 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted cumin seed, ground (refer to Note below)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 ounces imported feta cheese
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated (more may be used to your liking, in my opinion, the cheesier the better)
- 6 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/8 cup cumin seed, toasted ground (refer to Note below)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Remove visible fat from chicken. Rub chickens pieces with chipotle in adobo, lime juice, olive oil, ground cumin seeds, coriander, and cilantro.
- 3Place chicken in a baking dish. Bake until done (about 40 - 45 minutes) until cooked through and juices run clear.
- 4Allow chicken to cool until cool enough to handle. Shred meat, chop well and set aside. Scrape juice remaining in pan onto the shredded meat.
- 5Roast the chilies by holding over a gas flame with metal tongs until the skin is blistered all over. Chilies can also be broiled in the oven, keeping an eye on them so they won't burn.
- 6Place blistered chilies in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for about 10 - 15 minutes to soften skin. Remove and peel blistered skin from stem end down. It is important to keep peppers intact. Set chilies aside.
- 7In a skillet, saute corn with scallions in a butter until warm, but not mushy. Turn into bowl and add 1 teaspoons chili powder. Crumble in the feta cheese. Add Monterrey jack, chopped pecans, and chicken. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper.
- 8In a separate bowl, combine ground 1/8 cup ground cumin seeds, chili powder with cornmeal; set aside.
- 9In another bowl, combine eggs and milk; set aside.
- 10Slice top rim of the chilies stem end across 3/4 of the way to form a lid. Carefully remove seeds (it's o.k. to let some seeds remain).
- 11Fill chilies with chicken stuffing, carefully starting at stem end, being careful to keep chilies intact. It's much easier to fill by using your hands as a spoon tends to tear chilies.
- 12Dip chilies in egg/milk mixture and then roll in cornmeal. Placing chilies on a wax or plastic lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or more.
- 13Heat oil to 375 degrees F. Deep fry the chilies in batches. Drain, keep warm and serve.
- 14Serve with dollops of sour cream or with sour cream sauce. (Make sour cream sauce by blending sour cream, buttermilk or milk to the right consistency. Add a little chopped cilantro if preferred and I sometimes add grated lime peel and/or sprinkle lime juice to taste. Add a bit of salt if desired).
- 15NOTE: Toasting cumin seeds and then grinding them adds a smoky intensity. You can use pre-ground cumin, but note that the flavor won't have the same depth and character. I've used both and prefer the toasted seeds. If toasting the seeds, please keep an eye on them as they toast very quickly and just as quickly they burn. Spices can easy be ground in an electric coffee grinder dedicated solely for grinding spices.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Restaurant Quality Chiles Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.2
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 152.2 mg
- Sodium 400.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 29.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo