1/3 Photos of Authentic Puerto Rican Rice and Beans
This is my family's recipe straight from Aguada, Puerto Rico. In PR we make it from scratch (all the seasoning, but this recipe tastes the same, just easier than the all home-made version. This recipe is easy and serves 4, or 2 if you eat alot!! Muy rico, come lo
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans (habichuelas coloradas) or 1 (16 ounce) can pink beans (habichuelas coloradas)
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning (a flavored salt used in latin cooking)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 slice cooked ham or 1 slice salt pork or 1 slice Canadian bacon, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (5 g) packet sazon con azafran seasoning (comes in envelopes in a box, gives color and a distinct flavor to latin dishes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sofrito sauce (comes in a jar, a necessary ingredient in Puerto Rican cooking)
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, uncooked
- 1Made by Goya brand and can be found in the Spanish/Latin section of your grocery store Cook white rice as instructions on package of rice say to (5 minute rice is perfectly fine).
- 2make sure when you are done cooking to let excess water out of rice.
- 3In saucepan, heat oil on low-medium heat and put in the ham, salted pork, or Canadian bacon.
- 4once it starts to sizzle, add the garlic powder and Adobo seasoning.
- 5Then add the Sofrito and Sazon con Azafran seasoning, stir.
- 6Next add red beans (drain most of liquid, just a little bit is needed to pull the sauce together).
- 7Mix and serve.
- 8(in Puerto Rico, it is traditional to serve rice and beans with almost every meal, but mainly with pork chops (cooked with a little sofrito and adobo seasoning) on the side).
- 9Enjoy (a wonderful recipe straight from the island).
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Puerto Rican Rice and Beans
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.0
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sazon con azafran seasoning