1/1 Photo of Authentic Polish Paczki
1 hr 30 mins
This is the recipe I found handwritten in my Polish grandmother's cookbook. I have since found ones almost identical in Polish cuisine cookbooks. I so looked forward as a child to the Sundays that the Catholic church in Wilno, Minnesota sold paczkis after Mass on Sundays. They were the best treat ever. This recipe takes some effort, but they taste just as good. *NOTE....I'm adding this change after reading the last reviewer's very helpful comment that it tasted too eggy...she's right, it's a very eggy pastry dough. Be sure to use 6 whole eggs instead of the 12 yolks if you don't like that flavor (I know many people don't). It will work just as well, but be more to your taste. I'm so glad she took the time to bring this to my attention....it's something I should have mentioned before.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 egg yolks (or six whole eggs, see note)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup rum or 1/3 cup brandy
- 1 cup scalded whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups preserves or 1 1/2 cups cooked prunes or 1 1/2 cups cooked apples or 1 1/2 cups poppy seed filling
- oil (for deep frying, The old-timers used lard, but vegetable oil will work(I use peanut oil.)
- 1Beat egg yolks with the salt in the small bowl of an electric mixer at high speed until the mixture is thick and piles softly, about 7 minutes.
- 2Soften yeast in warm water.
- 3Cream butter, add sugar to it gradually, beating until fluffy.
- 4Slowly beat in the softened yeast.
- 5Stir one fourth of the flour into the yeast mix.
- 6Add rum/brandy and half of the cream.
- 7Beat in another fourth of the flour.
- 8Stir in remaining cream.
- 9Beat in half of the remaining flour and then the egg yolk mixture.
- 10Beat for 2 minutes.
- 11Gradually beat in the remaining flour until the dough blisters.
- 12Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- 13Set in a warm place to rise.
- 14When it has doubled in bulk, punch it down.
- 15Cover and let rise again until doubled.
- 16Punch it down again.
- 17Roll dough on a floured surface to about 3/4 inch thickness.
- 18Cut out 3 inch rounds using a cookie cutter or glass.
- 19Put 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of half the circles.
- 20Brush the edges with water.
- 21Top with the remaining rounds.
- 22Seal the edges very well.
- 23Cover the paczki on a floured surface.
- 24Let rise about 20 minutes.
- 25Deep fry in the hot fat until they are golden brown on both sides.
- 26Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with honey.
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Polish Paczki
Serving Size: 1 (1794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.4
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 137.8 mg
- Sodium 178.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g