1/1 Photo of Authentic Pad Thai
The real deal. Straight from the streets of Bangok.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 ounces rice sticks
- 1/3 cup extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 cups chinese chives, green
- 1 1/3 cups bean sprouts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 1/2 teaspoon dried arbol chile, ground
- 1 tablespoon preserved turnip
- 1 egg
- 1/3 lb shrimp
- 1/2 banana flower, sliced lengthwise
- 2 lime wedges
- 1Soak the dry noodles in lukewarm water while preparing the other ingredients, for 10-15 minutes.
- 2Julienne tofu and cut into pieces 1 inch long.
- 3Cut up Chinese chives into 1 inch long pieces. Set aside a few fresh chives for a garnish.
- 4Rinse the bean sprouts and save half for serving fresh.
- 5Mince shallot and garlic together.
- 6Heat the oil in a wok on high.
- 7Fry the peanuts until toasted and remove them from the wok.
- 8Add shallot, garlic and tofu and stir them until they start to brown.
- 9The noodles should be flexible but not expanded at this point. Drain the noodles and add to the wok. Stir quickly to keep things from sticking.
- 10Add tamarind, sugar, fish sauce, chili pepper and preserved turnip. Stir. The heat should remain high. If your wok is not hot enough, you will see a lot of juice in the wok at this point. Turn up the heat, if it is the case.
- 11Make room for the egg by pushing all noodles to the side of the wok. Crack the egg onto the wok and scramble it until it is almost all cooked. Fold the egg into the noodles.
- 12Add shrimp and stir for a minute.
- 13Add bean sprouts, chives. Stir a few more times. The noodles should be soft and very tangled.
- 14Pour onto the serving plate and sprinkle with the fried peanuts. Serve hot with banana flower, a wedge of lime, raw Chinese chives and raw bean sprouts.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Pad Thai
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 611.8
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 252.1 mg
- Sodium 1561.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 20.7 g
- Protein 31.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried arbol chiles