Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an authentic recipe adapted from "The Food of India" cookbook. My family has been loving this soup for years! If you want an authentic Mooloogoo Thani soup, this is it!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons besan flour (gram flour)
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, heaping
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons boiled rice (optional)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces cooked chicken, shredded
- lemon wedge
- Heat the oil and add the ginger and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes, then add the onion and saute until onion is transparent.
- Add the gram flour, apple, curry powder, turmeric, tomatoes, bay leaf, pepper and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 45 minutes, then process in a blender.
- Add the rice if using and chicken.
- Stir well and serve with lemon wedges.
I made this tonight. It's good, but just a little too spicy so would add less fresh ground black pepper next time around. Other than that, very good and satisfying.