Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From my Gram to your kitchen! This is the REAL deal. This chili freezes very well for later use. If using fatty ground beef, the chili can be made in advance and refrigerated in order to lift fat from top before reheating.
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 quart water, cold
- 4 small onions, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 ounce chocolate, dark
- Add raw beef to cold water and stir until beef separates to a fine texture.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir and simmer uncovered for at least 3 hours.
- At the beginning of the last hour, pan may be covered after desired consistency is reached.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.