Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From my Gram to your kitchen! This is the REAL deal. This chili freezes very well for later use. If using fatty ground beef, the chili can be made in advance and refrigerated in order to lift fat from top before reheating.
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 quart water, cold
- 4 small onions, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 ounce chocolate, dark
- Add raw beef to cold water and stir until beef separates to a fine texture.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir and simmer uncovered for at least 3 hours.
- At the beginning of the last hour, pan may be covered after desired consistency is reached.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Just wonderful! The ingredients are very similar to my Cincinnati Chili, so I knew we would enjoy it. I halved the recipe (but used the full amount for most of the spices/seasonings). I stuck this in the crock pot and let it cook for about 5-6 hours. The texture is wonderful for topping hot dogs. I also used your New England Style Buttermilk Hot Dog Bun's (Lobster Rolls), which were perfect. Thanks for posting!
My son made this for family supper, and it was very easy. If you like a smooth texture rather than a chunky texture, this is the recipe for you. My husband thought the allpice, cinnamon and chocolate were odd, but they added a noticeable difference to the overall flavor.
My sister and nephew (from Wisconsin) recently came to visit us. I usually take our out-of-town visitors to this local hot dog stand, when we visited they were already closed. :( Well, now we were craving chili dogs, so I promised to make some the following day. I made these and they were SO, SO very good!! We used turkey dogs and used onion powder in place of the onions (for the children) other than that we followed the recipe. Thanks Brandess for another keeper!!