Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This rice is a hit every time. I got this from a Mexican-American woman about 10 years ago. I have been searching and can't find an exact match so I thought I would post this one.
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet green pepper, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup mixed frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrot cubes, green bean)
- Heat up oil in deep skillet.
- Add rice in a single layer and let brown on each side. (An important thing to keep in mind is not to stir the rice, but rather fold it by taking the spatula and lifting and turning rice to brown on all sides. If you stir it will break up the rice grain).
- Half way through rice brown time add onion and green pepper until translucent.
- Turn down heat low to simmer.
- Add all of the cumin and crush the garlic into the open can of tomato sauce, stir to mix.
- Pour mixture over rice, add water.
- Fold in vegetables into rice.
- Put tight lid on pan simmer for approx 35 minutes or until rice is fluffy. Fold mixture occasionally as not to disturb the rices texture too much.
I thought this rice was really good. It has a nice flavor and taste good on it's own (with a little more salt for me) or really good with the other things you are eating..a taco or in a burrito. yum! I will make this again. One note: this makes A LOT of rice....our dinner had two women, two men and a toddler and we had a lot left over , even though everyone liked it and ate some. When I make this again, I will cut the recipe down so we don't have so much to eat afterward. Thanks for the recipe; we enjoyed it!
I have made many mexican rice recipes. This is the one I will make from now on. IMO, the other the past mexican rice recipes I have made were super dry. This one is perfect. The only change I made was I only used frozen corn. I do think folding the rice helps with the dish. Thanks Gal-a-Gourmet:)