Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Diabetic Cooking
- 3⁄4 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
- 4 tablespoons reduced-sodium chunky salsa, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely minced
- 1⁄3 cup no-salt-added mushroom, stems and pieces, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup old fashion 100% whole grain oats (oatmeal)
- 8 ounces 96% lean ground beef
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray piece of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place foil on broiler pan; set aside.
- Mix 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 3 tablespoons salsa, pepper and egg whites in medium bowl.
- Stir in garlic, onions, mushrooms, and oatmeal.
- Mix ground beef into ground turkey in large bowl.
- Stir in liquid ingredients to meat mixture, mix well.
- Remove mixture from bowl, shape into 4x8-inch rectangular loaf and place into the foil covered pan.
- Mix 1/4 cup tomato sauce and 1 tablespoon salsa; drizzle on top of meat loaf.
- Bake 55 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
OK, I TOO was concerned re how MOIST the meat mixture was too!
But my doubts were alleviated once it was cooked too!
Used 8 ounces beef mince, 8 ounces (combination of chorizo mince)100 grams to 400 grams pork mince and that gave it the taste it did need!
This makes for a GREAT feed!
Without the AUS/NZ recipe swap #72,
I might not ever come across THE MOISTEST meatloaf I EVER have expereinced worldwide too!
PS I reckon this will be even better tomorrow when it has a chance to settle too...Let it sit for 15 minutes when it came out of the oven, used a silicone rectangular tray, no oil, turned it over, then turned it over again, so the tomato salsa topping was on top
Hope my little hints and tips help other people to try this GREAT recipe WHOO HOO!
I first was a bit concerned with how much liquid this dish had. But after cooking it as posted it really did firm up. This made at least 6 servings. We enjoyed the texture of the meatloaf but thought that it lacked flavor. I can see not adding any additional salt but maybe some oregano, Italian seasoning, chili powder, cheyenne pepper anything , because this lacked a punch. I also used a hot salsa. I added the last bit of topping about 15 minutes before it was done cooking because I was thinking that it would not firm up. Thanks for posting. :)