1/1 Photo of Authentic Karahi Curry (With Base Sauce)
Ok this take a little bit more effort than something out of a jar, but I garneted the flavour is amazing. This is a tried & tested recipe that I cook for family and friends on a regular basis, I have spent years learning how to make the best curries and this is my favourite. Nothing out of a jar just fresh ingredients, this is honestly better that what you get from most Indian restaurants.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g chicken
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 500 ml hot water (Aprox Amount)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (any good one will do)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon flour, I use Grama flour but any will do
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek (optional)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 200 ml orange juice
- 4 -8 tablespoons ghee (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander
- 1Cook Chicken, or other meat.
- 2You can grill, fry or oven cook meat in any way you like. I often fry in oil adding a little turmeric and garlic. Once cooked set the pre-cooked meat aside.
- 3Base Sauce.
- 4Chop onions, ginger and Garlic roughly and fry in oil until cooked, add hot water, just enought to cover onions and garlic, you may not need all 500ml. Then simmer for 20 minutes.
- 5After 20 minutes take off heat let cool then blend with either a hand blender or in traditional blender, then set aside.
- 6Spice Mix.
- 7While the base sauce is cooling this is a good time to prepare you spice mix, just put all the spices in one bowl and mix together.
- 8The Curry.
- 9Heat oil to medium heat, and fry garlic and ginger for about 2 – 3 minutes, towards the end of the 3 minutes turn the heat down to very low.
- 10Once the oil, garlic and ginger have cooked and cooled a little add the spice mix a spoon at a time, you want to make a paste when the oil blends with the spices, so you may not need all the spice mix or you may need to add more oil.
- 11Once you have a runny oily paste turn the heat up very slightly, be very careful because if the spices burn the whole dish will be ruined. The trick is not to fry the spices just heat them sufficiently enough to bring out all the aromas and flavours, this should take only a few minutes.
- 12Then add the tomatoes, curry base, orange, salt, bay leaf, cinnamon, chicken stock cube and pre cooked chicken stirring the dish well.
- 13Let simmer for at least 20 mins but can be left for hours.
- 145 mins before you are ready to serve add the coriander and Ghee then dish up, I would recommend to serve with chapattis or basmati rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Karahi Curry (With Base Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 609.1
- Calories from Fat 423
- Total Fat 47.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 93.9 mg
- Sodium 982.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 26.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: