Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this recipe on www.jamaicans.com. We tried this and WOW was it awesome. I did not have allspice berries so I substituted ground allspice using one full tablespoon.
- 1⁄2 cup pimiento (allspice berries)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 -8 garlic cloves
- 4 -6 scotch bonnet peppers
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme or 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 1 -2 bunch scallion (green onions)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, to moisten
- Put content in a food processor or blender and liquify.
- Pour sauce in a jar and keep refrigerated.
- The sauce will keep forever if kept refrigerated.
- To increase spiciness blend pepper and pimento and add to sauce the hot peppers at any time.
- Marinate meat at least 2 hours.
A very good Jerk. I used 3 Tbsp of allspice and added olive oil and the juice of a lime to blend easier. I marinated in a ziplock bag for 8-10 hours and added water to move the jerk around. The left over jerk in the bag went into a bowl and was brushed onto the jerked chicken during a long, slow and smokey BBQ. Off.The.Hook.
This is a great recipe...however I agreed with another reviewer who used less than the 1/2 cup allspice berries. Instead, I used 2 heaping teaspoons of allspice berries and ground them fine before adding to the rest of the ingredients with no other changes to the ingredient amounts. This recipe created enough jerk sauce to marinate overnight 9 large chicken thighs. I prefer the flavor of dark meat and the thighs are uniform in size for even cooking...in the oven first at 350 for about an hour and then to the grill for the finishing touch.
Don't use 1/2 a cup of allspice. Maybe 6-7 berries should be plenty. 1/2 a cup is too much. This is really good otherwise.