1/1 Photo of Authentic Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef #1115831's Note:
I'm Jamaican and this is the way my Mama made brown stew chicken. It's traditionally served with rice and peas, sliced tomatoes / avocado and fried ripe plantain. If you cut the chicken into very small pieces, you'll need to reduce the cooking times. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small whole chicken, cut into portions
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 -4 stalks scallions, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 hot pepper, chopped (scotch bonnet)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped finely
- 1 limes or 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pimientos or 1 teaspoon allspice, cracked
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon flour or 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1Squeeze lime over chicken and rub well. Drain off excess lime juice.
- 2Combine tomato, scallion, onion, garlic, pepper, thyme, pimento and soy sauce in a large bowl with the chicken pieces. Cover and marinate at least one hour.
- 3Heat oil in a dutch pot or large saucepan. Shake off the seasonings as you remove each piece of chicken from the marinade. Reserve the marinade for sauce.
- 4Lightly brown the chicken a few pieces at a time in very hot oil. Place browned chicken pieces on a plate to rest while you brown the remaining pieces.
- 5Drain off excess oil and return the chicken to the pan. Pour the marinade over the chicken and add the carrots. Stir and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- 6Mix flour and coconut milk and add to stew, stirring constantly. Turn heat down to minimum and cook another 20 minutes or until tender.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.9
- Calories from Fat 484
- Total Fat 53.8 g
- Saturated Fat 26.3 g
- Cholesterol 162.5 mg
- Sodium 508.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 41.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: