I found this recipe in the book: Rustic European Bread. Won't believe how wonderful this bread will taste. You will be a champ on St. Patrick's.
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons yeast (preferrably fast rising)
- 3⁄4 cup currants or 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (optional)
- Process all ingredients in your bread machine set on the dough cycle.
- Remove from bread machine, punch down, cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet (I cover it with parchment paper). Punch the dough down, and shape it into an 8-inch circle, slightly flattened. Cover with wax paper, and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Slash the top of the dough with a large X. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 and continue to bake for 15 more minutes.
- Don't forget leftovers, if any, are great for sandwiches.