Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I know there are millions of chicken curry recipes, and they differ from home to home. This is a Fresca, Saucy, Chicken Curry to be served with white rice, or Basmati Rice. I grew up off of this very recipe, and omitting the butter, it is a healthy dish. You will love it!
- 1 -1 1⁄4 lb of cubed chicken tenders
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 6 cloves
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 7 roma tomatoes, diced up
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon dry coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot, heat oil and cinnamon sticks, cumin seeds, cloves for 1 minute, before they began to get dark add onions.
- Sautee' onions for 1 minute on medium high heat, add chicken tender cubes. Cook that stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
- Add rest of the ingredients (saving a small amount of the cilantro for garnish at end).
- Stir and simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes.
- Then serve over rice. (You may add more tomato sauce, or water depending on how chunky you want the curry sauce.).
I love Indian food and am glad I found this recipe. I always measure everything into it's individual dishes the day before. I make the recipe exactly as stated except I use the 29 oz can of tomato sauce. All the flavors are just as flavorful with the larger amount of tomato sauce. I like mine a little more soupy. Five stars on this one!
I've been missing chicken tikka since I've been trying to eat healthier. While this is not tikka, there are similar flavors and the right level of heat. I'll definietely be making this again.
A bit more work then I usually put into a week night diner, but well worth the effort! Itâ€™s spicy but not hot spicy. I made Nann to go along with is and was glad I did because every one wanted to map up the sauce. I defiantly make this again.