1/3 Photos of Authentic Hungarian Pastries
Munchkin Mama's Note:
These are amazing! You would not believe that there are only 3 ingredients in the dough. My Great-Grandma used to make these every Sunday. The dough has a delicate cheese taste and the filling is nice and tart. They also have a BEAUTIFUL presentation! I've never paid attention to how many cookies it makes or how much time it takes so that is a guess. I know it looks like a lot of steps, but it is not hard to do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened (do not use lite or fat free)
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1Prepare the fruit filling by putting the apricots in a saucepan. Add water just to cover.Cook until soft, being very careful not to let it burn. You may have to add more water to prevent this.
- 2When fruit is soft, add the sugar and cook until thick. When thickened, remove from heat and puree in a food processor. Let cool slightly, then put into a freezer bag. When you are ready to use the filling just snip off the corner of the bag. (You may have extra filling left over at the end- it can be frozen for the next time).
- 3Prepare pastry: Mix the dough ingredients together with a pastry blender. Roll out onto parchment paper or a lightly floured board to about 1/4" thick rectangle.
- 4Using a sharp knife (or a pie crust wheel), cut the dough into 3" X 3" squares.
- 5With a sharp knife, cut the dough diagonally from each corner to within 1/2-inch of center of each square.
- 6Put about 1 teaspoons of the filling in the center of each square.
- 7Fold every other corner of the square to the center to form a pinwheel shape, overlapping the dough at the center and pushing down gently to seal in center.
- 8Transfer cookies to a lightly greased cookie sheet. (They dont really expand so you dont have to worry about leaving a lot of space in-between.).
- 9Bake at 350 for 20 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Do not let get brown or burn.
- 10Dust with powdered sugar when cooled.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Hungarian Pastries
Serving Size: 1 (1646 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.7
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 49.3 mg
- Sodium 156.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 3.5 g