1/7 Photos of Authentic Hummus
Leggy Peggy's Note:
This recipe is from my dear friend, Elias, and his family. They are from the Middle East and this recipe is a staple for them. It has just the right balance of flavours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Drain and rinse garbanzos. Do NOT use can juices for the liquid in this recipe. They 'muddy' the flavour of the end result.
- 2Put garlic, tahini and salt in a blender or food processor and buzz until ingredients are well mixed (10-15 seconds).
- 3Add garbanzo beans (one can at a time) and blend after each addition. You can reserve a few whole beans for garnish.
- 4Add lemon juice and blend.
- 5Add as much water as you need for the consistency you like. I usually use it all, unless the lemon is ultra juicy.
- 6Spread hummus on a flat plate. Create a bowl shape by elevating the edges with hummus.
- 7Drizzle olive oil over the hummus, sprinkle with paprika and garnish with reserved whole beans and chopped parsley.
- 8Serve with flat Arabic bread. It's nice to toast the bread lightly in the oven.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Hummus
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.7
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 168.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.9 g