Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have made this for many years and still enjoy it! It's from an old Mexican cookbook that I've had for so long, the pages are all yellowed and about worn out. If you will measure all of your ingredients and get everything ready, this can be made in 30 minutes.I usually double this and it comes out fine.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 corn tortillas (your own or purchased)
- butter or margarine
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups about 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a wide frying pan over medium-high heat, brown the beef and onions. Add salt, pepper, chili powder and tomato sauce.
- Spread each tortilla with butter.
- In a 2-qt. casserole, alternate layers of buttered tortillas, meat sauce,olives and cheese.
- Mix together the water and the last tomato sauce,pour it over all, cover, and bake in a 400°F oven for 20 minutes.