Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Eggplant parmesan is a layered casserole of eggplant (specially prepared), mozarella cheese, parmesan cheese, marinara sauce or meat sauce...This recipe has been in my family for generations and you will know why when you give it a try. *Note: This is a great make ahead/freeze recipe!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced peeled (optional)
- 3 -4 cups of preferrably homemade marinara sauce or 3 -4 cups meat, sauce
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 2⁄3 cups seasoned flour
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350deg. Generously grease a 13 X 9 inches baking dish. Beat eggs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl place flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder-mix well to combine. Slice eggplant 1/4" thick and leave in a bowl of cold, salted water until ready to use. Drain eggplant but do not "dry". Dip eggplant slices in seasoned flour first, then egg and fry in large skillet until lightly browned on both sides. Lay on a platter until all eggplant slices are fried. Place 1 cup of sauce in bottom of baking dish and begin layering with eggplant, sauce and cheeses until finished. Bake covered for approxi-mately 30 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkly generously with additional mozarella cheese and fresh torn basil and return to oven for 10 more minutes until cheese is getting slightly browned and bubbly. Serve as a main dish with garlic toast and fresh green salad or use as a side dish with meat or pasta. Delish!