1/1 Photo of Authentic Cuban Rolls
2 hrs 30 mins
I can never find Cubano Bread like you get in Miami with the famous Cuban Sandwich. It's virtually impossible to find outside of Southern Florida. You have not lived until you've had one of those babies! I have included three methods below- Manual, Mixer, and Bread Machine methods. Please enjoy my research efforts for this recipe and don't forget to check out how to make the sandwich here: Famous Miami Cuban Sandwich
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1MANUAL METHOD: In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and allow the dough to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 1 hour, depending on the warmth of your kitchen. Gently fold the dough in upon itself and turn it upside-down after 30 minutes; this "turn" helps eliminate some of the excess carbon dioxide and redistributes the yeast's food, both imperative for optimum yeast growth.
- 2MIXER METHOD: Combine the ingredients as directed at left, using a flat beater paddle or beaters, then switch to the dough hook(s) and knead for 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and allow the dough to rise, with a turn, as directed above.
- 3BREAD MACHINE METHOD: Place all of the ingredients into the pan of your machine, program the machine for Manual or Dough, and press Start. Examine the dough about 10 minutes before the end of the final kneading cycle, and adjust its consistency with additional water or flour as needed, to produce a smooth, supple dough. Allow the machine to complete its cycle.
- 4Divide the dough into six pieces, and shape each piece into a rough log. Let the logs rest for 15 minutes, covered, then shape each piece into a smooth batard shape (a log about 8 inches long, slightly tapered at each end). Place the loaves on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
- 5Let the loaves rise, covered, for 1 hour. Brush or spray them with water, and slash one long lengthwise slit down the middle of each loaf. Preheat the oven to 375°F while the loaves are rising. Bake the bread for about 30 minutes, or until it's golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool it on a rack. The loaves may be made one day in advance and stored at room temperature, or several weeks in advance and frozen. Yield: 6 sandwich loaves.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Cuban Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.2
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 416.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 4.6 g