1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe from my mother (who yes is Chinese). I loved this chicken as a kid and couldn't believe how simple this recipe is. This comes out so crispy and delicious. Prep time does not include time needed for the seasoning to set.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make five-spice salt: Combine 5 tablespoons salt with 1 tablespoon five-spice seasoning. Place five spice salt in a dry skillet. Cook & stir over low heat 3-4 minutes.
- 2Rub salt mixture (1 teaspoon five spice salt per lb. of chicken) on inside and outside of chicken. Cover and refrigerate seasoned chicken for 4 hours or overnight.
- 3Preheat oven to 500 F.
- 4Insert green onions into chicken cavity.
- 5Place chicken, breast side down, on a rack sprayed with nonstick cooking spray in a shallow roasting pan.
- 6Roast chicken for 35 minutes. Turn chicken over and continue roasting another 20-25 minutes or until chicken tests done. (Chicken skin should be crisp).
- 7Serve slices of chicken hot or chilled with plum sauce.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Chinese Five Spice Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 981.8
- Calories from Fat 647
- Total Fat 71.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.5 g
- Cholesterol 331.4 mg
- Sodium 309.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 77.8 g