Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe from my mother (who yes is Chinese). I loved this chicken as a kid and couldn't believe how simple this recipe is. This comes out so crispy and delicious. Prep time does not include time needed for the seasoning to set.
- To make five-spice salt: Combine 5 tablespoons salt with 1 tablespoon five-spice seasoning. Place five spice salt in a dry skillet. Cook & stir over low heat 3-4 minutes.
- Rub salt mixture (1 teaspoon five spice salt per lb. of chicken) on inside and outside of chicken. Cover and refrigerate seasoned chicken for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- Insert green onions into chicken cavity.
- Place chicken, breast side down, on a rack sprayed with nonstick cooking spray in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast chicken for 35 minutes. Turn chicken over and continue roasting another 20-25 minutes or until chicken tests done. (Chicken skin should be crisp).
- Serve slices of chicken hot or chilled with plum sauce.