Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a wonderful Mexican dish of pork simmered in tomatillos and chiles, Makes a great borrito with spanish rice and refried beans.
- 6 lbs cubed pork stew meat
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large yellow onions
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth
- 8 fresh poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 lbs fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 cup cilantro leaf, coarsely chopped
- In a large stock pot over high heat sear the pork in the vegetable oil until browned.
- Remove the pork from the pot, reserve 3 tablespoons oil in the pan.
- Saute the chopped onion and garlic seasoned with salt and pepper in the reserved oil until onions are tender.
- Add the cumin, then stir in pork and chicken stock.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Add in poblanos, jalapenos and bell peppers.
- Puree the tomatillos and cilantro in a blender, and add them to the pot.
- Cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with Mexican/Spanish rice and refried beans.