1/2 Photos of Authentic Chili Verde (Pork and Green Tomatillo Stew)
1 hr 30 mins
This is a wonderful Mexican dish of pork simmered in tomatillos and chiles, Makes a great borrito with spanish rice and refried beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs cubed pork stew meat
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large yellow onions
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 8 fresh poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 lbs fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 cup cilantro leaf, coarsely chopped
- 1In a large stock pot over high heat sear the pork in the vegetable oil until browned.
- 2Remove the pork from the pot, reserve 3 tablespoons oil in the pan.
- 3Saute the chopped onion and garlic seasoned with salt and pepper in the reserved oil until onions are tender.
- 4Add the cumin, then stir in pork and chicken stock.
- 5Simmer for 1/2 hour.
- 6Add in poblanos, jalapenos and bell peppers.
- 7Puree the tomatillos and cilantro in a blender, and add them to the pot.
- 8Cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes.
- 9Serve with Mexican/Spanish rice and refried beans.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Chili Verde (Pork and Green Tomatillo Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.3
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 85.8 mg
- Sodium 1092.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 32.8 g