Recipe by celly
This was a staple growing up, my Mamita slaved for hours making this for dinner.. I came up with a way to enjoy authentic pastel with less time in the kitchen and more time drinking with my guests. I whip this up once a year right around the 11th of September... Viva Chile :)** I left off the raisins.. casue my family hates them but for authentic add 2 handfuls of california raisins.
Top Review by MsPia
I do not know if this dish is authentic or not, but I do know it is delicious! I used Green Giant creamed corn, it is my absolute favorite, and added a little Wondra Flour to make it a little thicker, so it wouldn't drain to the bottom of the dish. Thank you celly for such a great recipe. Just hit the spot on our "first snow" day.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons adobo seasoning
- 2 tablespoons salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 10 -12 large black olives, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pam cooking spray or cooking spray
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 -2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute chicken breasts in hot oil until browned; remove from heat and rest aside.
- In a heavy skillet, brown the meat, drain, and put it into a bowl.
- Add oil (one swirl around pan) to skillet.
- Saute onion until translucent; add chile flakes, cumin, adobo, paprika, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Add the sauteed mixture to the meat and mix.
- Pack the meat mixture into a pregreased (Pam) shallow 9-inch ovenproof casserole dish.
- Arrange chicken, eggs and olives on top of meat mixture.
- Place creamed corn in bowl; mix in 4 tablespoons of sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour this mixture over the meat mixture and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. It should cover mixture but not overtly.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- Serve with additional sugar on side.