Recipe by Chris from Kansas
I received this recipe from a friend at work who got it from a lady in Texas. It is exceptionally good authentic tortilla soup. I use already cooked rotisserie chicken from the store to make it quicker to put together.
Top Review by Sky Valley Cook
This was a great soup with a lot of flavor. Like the previous viewer, I added pinto beans and a small amount of corn. I served with corn bread on this side. Thank you for sharing. Will definately make again.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 3⁄4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (or less)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 -8 ounces tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour.
- While simmering, whisk the rest of the flour with water and add to the onion and garlic sauté. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cilantro and chicken. Cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in sugar and Tabasco. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add cheese and let it melt (low heat).
- Crumble tortilla chips into soup and let it set for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with additional cheese and tortilla chips, if desired.