In honor of my destroyed city, here is the real New Orleans chicken and sausage gumbo from my childhood. It doesn't get any better than this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 quarts chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 lbs andouille sausages or 2 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch scallion, tops only, chopped (green onions)
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- file powder
- 1Season the chicken with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning and brown quickly. Brown the sausage, pour off fat and reserve meats.
- 2In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil and cook the flour in the oil over medium to high heat (depending on your roux-making skill), stirring constantly, until the roux reaches a dark reddish-brown color, almost the color of coffee or milk chocolate for a Cajun-style roux. If you want to save time, or prefer a more New Orleans-style roux, cook it to a medium, peanut-butter color, over lower heat if you're nervous about burning it.
- 3Add the vegetables and stir quickly. This cooks the vegetables and also stops the roux from cooking further. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes.
- 4Add the stock, seasonings, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then cook for about one hour, skimming fat off the top as needed.
- 5Add the chopped scallion tops and parsley, and heat for 5 minutes. Add file powder to taste just before serving. This also acts as a thickening agent. Serve over rice in large shallow bowls. Accompany with a good beer and lots of hot, crispy French bread.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (595 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.4
- Calories from Fat 490
- Total Fat 54.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 110.2 mg
- Sodium 1441.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 38.8 g