Recipe by Woowoose
This recipe I got from living for 6 weeks in Dharamsala, Himmachal Pradesh, India.
Top Review by bakedapple42
Delicious! Very easy to make,too. I have made this Chai tea recipe with whole milk and also with almond milk, with good results both ways. Thank you for such a great recipe.
- 1⁄2 saucepan water
- 18 black peppercorns
- 18 cardamom pods
- 1 medium cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 8 slices fresh ginger (you don't need to peel it)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons black tea, like Taj Mahal
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Start to heat the water to boiling.
- In the meantime, cut each peppercorn in half with a knife and crack open each cardamom pod by biting it or smashing it.
- Put all spices and ginger in the pan. Boil about 5 minutes or until the water is light brown colored from the spices.
- Add 1/2 cup of the milk and the tea. Then stir in the sugar making sure it melts.
- Add the rest of the milk and heat to almost boiling for a couple more minutes.
- Depending on your taste, you can add more or less milk or sugar to the recipe.
- Strain the mixture into glasses and taste authentic chai from the Himalayas!