This recipe is being posted for ZWT II & my source is cookinglouisiana.com. I love the intro! ... "Here in South Louisiana we're always taking the usual & making it unusually good. Homemade hamburgers are subject to this treatment! We'll twist this one up some & see if we can make our taste buds smile the Cajun way!" (Time does not include refrigeration time)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage (homemade)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons catsup (or BBQ sauce)
- 3 -4 dashes louisiana hot sauce
- 3 -4 drops liquid crab boil concentrate
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- Remove sausage from the casing & combine both meats in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients & mix well. Let the mixture rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hr for seasonings to "work".
- Form hamburger patties as usual & make them about 3/4" larger than the bun. The burgers will shrink, so doing this will give you a "bun-fitting" hamburger patty.
- Cook hamburgers on high heat on ea side for about 1 minute. Then finish them on a med low heat till done (An internal temp of 160F is recommended by the USDA).
- When done, spray them on both sides w/a water mist & sprinkle a little salt on them. Serve immediately.
- If not serving immediately, put the patties in a pan w/only enough water to cover the bottom. Keep them covered so they don't dry out. Doing all of this will give you a slightly moister hamburger patty.
This is a very moist burger with a lot of great flavor. I left out the crab boil out because I couldn't find it in our area and I added about 1/2 cup bread crumbs because they wouldn't hold together otherwise. My husband thought it tasted like meatloaf, so I will probably make it as a meatloaf from now on. We really enjoyed these giant burgers. Thanks twissis. Made for the Cajun/Creole cookbook for team Tasty Tester during ZWT9.
I give this flavor loaded burger full marks. We loved it served with some salsa on top along side corn on the cob & green beans with shallots great Saturday night meal Will make this one again for sure
Very tasty burger; loved the flavor and easy to do! Made for week 17, football pool.