1/1 Photo of Authentic Black Bean Chicken
Fermented black beans are found in Asian markets and once you buy them, they last pretty much forever! Also called salted black beans, they're used in the black bean chicken you order from Chinese take-out and has a much different flavor than the Mexican type of black beans. From chef Fuchsia Dunlop with my addition of some red pepper for color! Also check out my review of Black Bean Chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 head garlic, peeled (cut very large cloves in half)
- 2 1/2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 scallions, green parts only, cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons fermented black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine or 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- peanut oil, for frying
- 1Cut the chicken into bite sized chunks; put them in a bowl and add salt and soy sauce; mix well and set aside.
- 2Heat peanut oil in the wok over high heat; add the chicken and stir-fry until it changes color, then remove from the wok with a slotted spoon.
- 3Drain off all but 3 tablespoons oil from the wok, then return it to medium heat; add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry for a few minutes until they are fragrant and the garlic cloves are tender. Add the black beans and stir-fry until fragrant, splashing in the wine as you do so. Add the chili flakes and stir-fry for a few moments.
- 4Return the chicken to the wok; add the red bell pepper and toss both in the fragrant oil, splashing in the vinegar and adding salt to taste. When everything is sizzly, throw in the scallions and stir a few times until barely cooked. Then, off the heat, stir in the sesame oil and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Black Bean Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.0
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 95.3 mg
- Sodium 488.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 21.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fermented black beans