Recipe by spatchcock
This is an adopted recipe. Here's what the original poster had to say about this recipe: "This is the way Bavarians eat their potato salad. You can replace 1/3 of the potatoes with thinly sliced cucumbers and add them just before serving,or use field salad or endive lettuce instead. A Bavarian potato salad always has a slight sweet and sour taste. Also very important: do not leave out the butter, it changes the taste significantly. Serve it warm or at room temperature."
Top Review by cotypie
Substitute BACON GREASE for the OIL, and add crumbles of bacon...
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR instead of white vinegar...
and BROWN SUGAR instead of plain sugar...
Better flavor and more authentic
- 1 kg potato
- 150 ml hot chicken broth or 150 ml hot beef broth
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 pinch sugar
- 4 tablespoons oil (not olive oil!!!)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 70 g melted butter
- chives or parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes, slice while still warm and add broth.
- Mix vinegar with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Sugar and salt should be dissolved before adding the oil.
- Add marinade to the potatoes.
- Add onions and finally the melted butter.
- Garnish with chives or parsley.
- If you want to add cucumber, thinly slice them and salt.
- Drain before adding to the salad.