Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is amazing! I got this recipe from a lady I met on my honeymoon in Bali. It's Indonesian home cooking so it's more authentic than the Satay you could try in the restaurants. To make this dish quicker to prepare, you could use unsalted peanut butter instead of roasting and peeling the peanuts. Oh and if you don't like your food spicy, use only 1 chilie or omit them all together. Enjoy!
- 500 g cubed chicken breasts
- 24 bamboo skewers
- 9.85 ml tamarind paste
- 29.58 ml warm water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 peeled shallots
- 4.92 ml coriander seed
- 0 cumin seed
- 2.46 ml salt
- 22.18 ml oil (groundnut or sunflower oil will do)
- 29.58 ml oil
- 3 red finger-length chilies
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 200 g unsalted peanuts, dry roasted and skinned
- 2.46 ml salt
- 44.37 ml palm sugar or 44.37 ml brown sugar
- 250 ml hot water
- Mix the marinade ingredients (tamarind pulp through oil), add chicken and set aside to marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- To prepare the peanut sauce heat the oil in a saucepan add chillies and garlic and cook over medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes). put the mixture into the food processor and add the peanuts, salt and sugar. Process briefly so that the peanuts are still chunky. Add hot water and process again to make a thick sauce.
- Thread 4 chicken cubes onto each skewer. Grill on the barbecue or griddle pan until golden brown on both sides and cooked inside. Serve with dipping bowls of peanut sauce rice or pita bread and fresh cucumber salad.