Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are like cheese puffs, or similar to Greek tyropita, but the Armenian version does not use fillo dough - it is made with homemade dough, rolled very thin and light, then stuffed with a light cheese filling and baked with egg brushed across the top so it comes out golden and crispy - they can be made small as delectable appetizers, or you can make them larger and eat them as a light lunch with a salad or next to soup... the kids will LOVE them!
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup corn oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) package blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 (8 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 egg yolks (dont' throw away the whites! look below)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in large blowl, add water and oil. knead together until soft and springs back to the touch. Form into 14 individual balls, pat into round circles. Cover and let this sit while you mix the filling to rest --
- Filling: combine the eggs with the softened cream cheese with the blue cheese, the feta cheese and the ricotta cheese. You can add some parsley for flavor if you wish.
- to make the boureg, flatten out each circle into a 3-4 inch flat circle, place 1 tablespoon of the filling on 1/2 of the circle, fold the circle in half and seal the edges so that its a 1/2 circle, twist a bit to form a crescent shape (moon) -- keep the bouregs about 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet, let rest again for about 15 minutes while the oven is warming up.
- Turn oven on at 350 degrees, brush the beaten egg whites on the bouregs to make them flaky as they bake -- place the tray in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Bouregs are delicious when served with a tray of fruit and a cup of tea -- enjoy!
- Tip: If you want to do these in a hurry, you can use bisquick buttery flaky crescent rolls in the refrigerated aisle - just roll each crescent into a ball, smooth out into a 3 to 4 inch circle and use the same filling -- Our favorite fruit to serve with these is sliced sugared strawberries and red grapes.