These are like cheese puffs, or similar to Greek tyropita, but the Armenian version does not use fillo dough - it is made with homemade dough, rolled very thin and light, then stuffed with a light cheese filling and baked with egg brushed across the top so it comes out golden and crispy - they can be made small as delectable appetizers, or you can make them larger and eat them as a light lunch with a salad or next to soup... the kids will LOVE them!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine flour, baking powder and salt in large blowl, add water and oil. knead together until soft and springs back to the touch. Form into 14 individual balls, pat into round circles. Cover and let this sit while you mix the filling to rest --
- 2Filling: combine the eggs with the softened cream cheese with the blue cheese, the feta cheese and the ricotta cheese. You can add some parsley for flavor if you wish.
- 3to make the boureg, flatten out each circle into a 3-4 inch flat circle, place 1 tablespoon of the filling on 1/2 of the circle, fold the circle in half and seal the edges so that its a 1/2 circle, twist a bit to form a crescent shape (moon) -- keep the bouregs about 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet, let rest again for about 15 minutes while the oven is warming up.
- 4Turn oven on at 350 degrees, brush the beaten egg whites on the bouregs to make them flaky as they bake -- place the tray in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5Bouregs are delicious when served with a tray of fruit and a cup of tea -- enjoy!
- 6Tip: If you want to do these in a hurry, you can use bisquick buttery flaky crescent rolls in the refrigerated aisle - just roll each crescent into a ball, smooth out into a 3 to 4 inch circle and use the same filling -- Our favorite fruit to serve with these is sliced sugared strawberries and red grapes.
Browse Our Top Southwest Asia (middle East) Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwest Asia (middle East) Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Armenian Cheese Boureks With a Twist
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.3
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 117.4 mg
- Sodium 658.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 16.5 g