2 hrs 20 mins
John DOH's Note:
Received this in chatting with a Texas cook a few years ago, and, as we all have our own views of "chili" today, this is where it all got started (actual credit to Texas Governmor Ann Richards, who attribuited Jim Perry of the XIT Ranch in the Texas Panhandle, as being the method of cooking on a cattle drive... While very simplistic, the longer it cooks, the better it tastes, and showcases the lack of ingredients that could be found on a cattle drive, I argue that as the drives passed settlements its logical that fresh killed beef was traded for services (laundry?) or fresh veggies, so that the legend of tasting better as time went on would reflect veggies added at a later date. No refrigeration just constant heat in the chuckwagon. Chili cooks should all try this once! Meat, in its original sense, would not have been expensive cuts, or be very "aged", and would not have been finely ground, but rather "roughly chopped"...but remember to use "fatty" meat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Render the fat to liquid.
- 2Add the beef, and brown lightly, then add onions and garlic.
- 3(IMPORTANT Do NOT drain the fat or drippings).
- 4Cook over medium heat, until onions are translucent, then add spices, stirring gently until blended.
- 5Continue over low heat for at least two hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- 6Add salt to taste, though it doesn't need much.
- 7If it gets too thick, you can add water, but remember that chili is reputed to be able to stand a spoon up straight!
- 8Its edible after two hours, but improves vastly with time, so don't be afraid to cook 6 or 8 or ten hours --
- 9After you've tried the "original" recipe as above, you could add one or two jalapeno's, a single tomato and/or green pepper, just to fully appreciate how far this dish has evolved -- .
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic 1840 Texas Chili
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.1
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 147.4 mg
- Sodium 187.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 51.2 g