1/3 Photos of Austrian Walnut Torte With Coffee Whipped Cream
Chef Kate's Note:
This lovely dessert would have been the featured pastry at "Jause" --a lovely old German/Austrian custom of pausing in the afternoon for cake and coffee and conversation. Prep time does not include time for cooling the torte layers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For torte layers
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh fine breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rum
for coffee whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy cream, well chilled
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
For the cake pans
- 12 walnut halves, toasted
- 1Butter 3 Nine inch round cake pan and line the bottom of each one with a round of buttered parchment paper.
- 2Dust the pans with flour and shake out any excess.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 4In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup of granulated sugar until the mixture is doubled in volume and forms a ribbon when the beaters are lifted (about 5 minutes).
- 5In a food processor or blender, pulse the walnuts with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until ground fine.
- 6Add the walnuts, the bread crumbs, the coffee and the rum to the yolks and fold gently.
- 7In another bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg white just to stiff peaks.
- 8Gently and gradually fold the whites into the yolk mixture.
- 9Divide the batter among the three cake pans, spreading it evenly and giving each cake pan a good thump against the counter to make sure there are no air bubbles.
- 10Bake the layers 20 to 25 minutes, or until the sides pull away from the pans and the tops spring back when pressed gently.
- 11Cool in pans on racks for ten minutes.
- 12Run a sharp knife round the sides of the layers and carefully invert the layers onto the racks.
- 13Remove and discard parchment paper and allow layers to cool completely.
- 14Make the Coffee Whipped Cream:.
- 15In a large, chilled bowl, stir together 3 tablespoons of the cold heavy cream and the instant coffee until coffee is dissolved.
- 16Add remaining cream and confectioner's sugar and beat until cream forms stiff peaks.
- 17This will provide enough whipped cream to fill the two layers and to garnish the top.
- 18You can place the cream for the top in a pastry bag and decorate the top with rosettes.
- 19Garnish with the toasted walnut halves.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Austrian Walnut Torte With Coffee Whipped Cream
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.9
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 226.7 mg
- Sodium 95.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 31.1 g
- Protein 10.9 g