A very traditional and extremely delicious Austro-Hungarian dessert, that goes back quite some time. As i couldn't find it on food.com i decided to post my version in here. I hope you'll enjoy it! If you can't get hold of curd you might as well use Ricotta, or a mixture of half Ricotta - half Cream-Cheese. Using low cal products is absolutely fine, but remember: the higher the fat content, the more flavour you usually get :). I converted the European measurements to their US equivalents, but don't hesitate to experiment and decide for yourselves, whether you like it a hint sweeter, thinner, ... etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 100 g flour (~ 3.5oz)
- 250 ml milk (~ 1 cup)
- 7 eggs (size ( M)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 dash sparkling water (leave out if not at hand)
- 750 g curds (26.5oz, usually 3 standard containers) or 750 g ricotta cheese (26.5oz, usually 3 standard containers) or 750 g ricotta and cream cheese (26.5oz, usually 3 standard containers)
- 120 g sugar (~ 4.23oz)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon, cest
- 60 g butter (~ 1.1oz)
- 200 g creme fraiche (~ 7oz)
- 50 g confectioners' sugar (1.76oz)
- 21: Whisk together flour, milk, 4 whole eggs, the dash of sparkling mineral water and the pinch of salt to a relatively liquid dough. (If you like your dough sweet, add a table spoon of sugar).
- 32: Let the dough sit for about 15 minutes.
- 51: Break 2 eggs into a bowl and add 120g of sugar, vanilla sugar and beat until fluffy.
- 62: Add curd or ricotta (or ricotta/cream cheese mixture), lemon cest and again mix together well.
- 7Preparation of Crêpes:.
- 81: Add 10g of butter to a skillet and let it melt, wait until it's sizzling hot (don't let it get brown).
- 92: Add about 6 tablespoons of the dough and disperse it all over the skillet's bottom.
- 103: Flip Palatschinken over after it has "set" (allow the "Palatschinken" to get some light colour on both sides.).
- 114: Butter a casserole dish and fill the crêpes with the curd filling, roll them up and put them in the casserole (side to side).
- 135: Whisk together the remaining last egg, confectioner's sugar and crème fraîche and pour over the crêpes.
- 14Bake for 15-20 minute by 200°C.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Austrian Topfenpalatschinken - Austrian Sweet Crêpes
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 660.0
- Calories from Fat 296
- Total Fat 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 310.9 mg
- Sodium 668.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 49.6 g
- Protein 25.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: