Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs 50 mins
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup apricot jam
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 25 Austrian crepes, about
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Make filling: In a small heatproof bowl plump currants in boiling-hot water 15 minutes and drain.
- Pat currants dry between paper towels.
- In a food processor or in a bowl with an electric mixer blend together well cream cheese, jam, yolks, zest, and vanilla.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer (beaters cleaned if necessary) beat whites with a pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks.
- Add sugar to whites and beat meringue until it holds stiff peaks.
- Fold cheese mixture into meringue gently but thoroughly and fold in currants.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- and lightly butter a 14-inch-long oval gratin dish or other 2 1/2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Working with 1 crepe at a time, spread 2 generous tablespoons filling on each crepe, leaving a 1/2-inch border all around, and roll up crepes jelly-roll fashion.
- With a sharp knife cut crepes on a diagonal in half and arrange, overlapping slightly, in layers in baking dish.
- Crepes may be prepared up to this point 4 hours ahead and chilled, covered.
- Bring crepes to at room temperature before proceeding.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, and milk and pour over crepes, letting custard seep between layers.
- Bake crepes in middle of oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until puffed and custard is set, and cool to warm.
- Dust crepes with confectioners' sugar and serve with apricot caramel sauce.