Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This came off of a My Great Recipe Card I got 20 years ago. I still love it.
- 1 (4 -5 lb) roasting chickens
- 3 white dinner rolls or 5 slices white bread
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Wash chicken inside and out and pat dry.
- Cut rolls or bread into small pieces and pour milk over them. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Cream the 1/2 cup butter. Add the egg, egg yolks, parsley, thyme and nutmeg, mix well. Combine butter mixture with bread mixture, mixing well.
- Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Stuff chicken with bread mixture. Loosen skin of the breast with fingers and insert 1 Tbs. of butter on each breast, under the skin. Truss chicken.
- Place chicken in roasting pay. Pour in chicken broth.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until cooked through, basting occasionally with broth. Add more water or broth as necessary.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Remove stuffing, carve and serve.