Recipe by Gerry
This elegant looking fruit torte is one of the recipes that a family member brought back after a stay in Germany, where strawberry season sees these cakes in all the bakeries and cafes. Thanks to her grandmother we enjoy this marvellous dessert that never fails to please. In the off season I drain canned peaches and arrange the slices making for a impressive looking dessert when fresh strawberries are not available. The original recipe calls for a package of Oetker glaze which I am not finding this past while - any of the clear fruit glaze mixes will work.
Top Review by Pneuma
Saw this in What's In Season Forum and just had to try it! And boy, it IS delicious! I tried to use a strawberry gelatin glaze but it kept falling off to the sides coz my cake was more bulky in the middle. Nevertheless, I've already ate half of it alone within 24 hours! The cake's moist, slightly dense and with the strawberry and frosting, it's just fab~ Thanks, Gerry!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup icing (approximately I/2 cup white icing, enough to lightly cover base)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs strawberries (enough to generously cover cake)
- glaze (clear glaze, mix as directed on package)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350, grease flan pan, flour to keep from sticking - I use cooking spray to grease pan.
- Beat sugar and eggs until fluffy, add butter, salt, baking powder, and vanilla - mix well.
- Alternately add flour and milk.
- Spread into a flan pan, bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and centre is firm to the touch.
- Carefully remove from pan, cool on cake rack,when cool place cake on your special serving platter, ice bottom lightly using just enough to seal the cake, give it a few minutes to dry before adding the fruit.
- Arrange strawberries ( I cut the strawberries in half arranging concentrically starting at the edge - for variation make a 'strawberry flower' in the centre using about five strawberry halves then arrange the rest of the berries around to the edge) you may go with halving, slicing or whole berries when arranging your fruit - whatever works best for you .
- Prepare glaze according to directions cooling slightly and pour over.