Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Marillen (apricots) have a long tradition in Austria, especially apricots from Lower Austria are said to be the best and finest tasting. You can find them as preserve, dumpling or donut filling, in ice cream and as Strudel filling.
- Melt butter in a pan and add breadcrumbs, ground hazelnuts and sugar.
- Stir until mixture is lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Take from heat and add cinnamon and vanilla bean scrapings.Stir until evenly distributed.
- Place sheet of puff pastry on non stick paper and place on a baking tray.
- Brush sides of pastry with milk, this will help to stick the pastry sheets together later.
- Place apricot cubes on 2/3 of the pastry, leave sides free.
- Sprinkle bread crumb/nut/sugar mixture over apricots.
- Fold in pastry sides and start to roll dough into strudel-shape.
- Press seam of dough firmly together so the strudel is closed on all sides.
- Brush surface with milk and let strudel bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes until lightly brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy luke warm with whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream -- .