3 hrs 40 mins
Creation in Hope's Note:
This is posted for the ZWT 2006. I have not tried this recipe and it is compliments of www.astray.com by Léon Brocard.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place warm milk in a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast over milk.
- 2Add 1/2 cup flour.
- 3Beat with a large spoon about 1 minute.
- 4Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double (40 minutes).
- 5In a large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 6Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after adding each.
- 7Stir in yeast mixture, raisins, currants, orange peel and salt.
- 8Gradually stir in the remaining 3-1/2 cups flour.
- 9Lightly grease and flour a 9-cup gugelhupf mold or 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- 10Arange whole almonds in a design in the bottom of the pan.
- 11Carefully spoon batter over almonds.
- 12Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double (about 1 hour).
- 13Bake in a 350 degree oven about 40 minutes.
- 14If necessary cover top with foil the last 15 minutes of baking time to prevent over browning.
- 15Remove from pan.
- 16Cool on wire rack.
- 17Before serving, sift powdered sugar over cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Austrian Gugelhupf
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 811.1
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 225.1 mg
- Sodium 475.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 31.3 g
- Protein 16.8 g