Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is posted for the ZWT 2006. I have not tried this recipe and it is compliments of www.astray.com by Léon Brocard.
- Place warm milk in a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast over milk.
- Add 1/2 cup flour.
- Beat with a large spoon about 1 minute.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double (40 minutes).
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after adding each.
- Stir in yeast mixture, raisins, currants, orange peel and salt.
- Gradually stir in the remaining 3-1/2 cups flour.
- Lightly grease and flour a 9-cup gugelhupf mold or 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- Arange whole almonds in a design in the bottom of the pan.
- Carefully spoon batter over almonds.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost double (about 1 hour).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven about 40 minutes.
- If necessary cover top with foil the last 15 minutes of baking time to prevent over browning.
- Remove from pan.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Before serving, sift powdered sugar over cake.