An Austrian cookie despite its Italian sounding name.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour (Not self rising flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blanched slivered almond
- 3 ounces candied orange peel, finely chopped
CHOCOLATE GLAZE (triple to use in this recipe)
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:.
- 2Partially melt chocolate pieces in the top of a double boiler over hot (not simmering) water. Remove from heat and stir until chocolate is melted. Blend in butter. This will also glaze one 8-inch tubed cake. Triple the recipe for the cookies.
- 3FOR THE COOKIES: Cream butter; add brown sugar gradually, creaming until fluffy. Add honey, corn syrup, and cream gradually, beating well after each addition.
- 4Sift flour and salt together; add in thirds to creamed mixture, mixing until blended after each addition. Mix in almonds and candied peel.
- 5Drop by level tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart onto greased and lightly floured cookie sheets; spread into 2 inch rounds.
- 6Bake at 350°F about 7 minutes. (Cookies should be delicately browned and about 3 inches in diameter with a slightly lacy appearance.).
- 7Cool 2 to 3 minutes on cookie sheets. Carefully remove cookies to wire racks; turn flat side up and cool completely.
- 8Evenly spread bottom of each cookie with about 1 1/2 teaspoons Chocolate Glaze. When chocolate is almost set, draw wavy lines through glaze. About 2 dozen cookies.
- 9Canadian Family Cookbook.
Nutritional Facts for Austrian Florentines (Echte Florentiner)
Serving Size: 1 (693 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1610.2
- Calories from Fat 823
- Total Fat 91.4 g
- Saturated Fat 36.7 g
- Cholesterol 118.3 mg
- Sodium 672.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 187.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 119.0 g
- Protein 22.7 g