2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 45 mins
This delicious yeast coffee cake can be made with either cherries, plums or apricots. The almond paste is quite difficult to grate, as is suggested in the original recipe, so I cut it up into little chunks and interspersed it between the pieces of fruit. Rising time is included in the preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the dough
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup granny smith apple, peeled and grated
- 4 cups white bread flour
- 2 tablespoons dry milk, powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried yeast
For the filling
For the topping
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 teaspoon demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons almonds, sliced
- 1To make the dough, put the ingredients into the bowl of your bread machine in the order listed and set on the dough setting.
- 2When the dough is ready, roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a 16" square.
- 3Arrange the cherries and almond paste on top and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- 4Carefully roll up the dough, as if you were making a jelly roll, gently stretching it until it is around 22" long.
- 5Twist the roll into a loose coil and place in a 9" non-stick springform cake pan.
- 6Cover the pan with lightly oiled plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for about 30 to 45 minutes, to allow the dough to rise.
- 7Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 8Brush the top of the risen dough with the egg white and sprinkle with the demerara sugar and almonds.
- 9Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake is golden and risen.
- 10Let it cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool.
- 11Serve warm or cold, cut into wedges.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Austrian Coffee Cake (Abm)
Serving Size: 1 (1441 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3919.1
- Calories from Fat 1124
- Total Fat 124.8 g
- Saturated Fat 33.9 g
- Cholesterol 292.4 mg
- Sodium 584.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 614.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 36.8 g
- Sugars 188.7 g
- Protein 96.2 g