Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Cinnamon stars perfume the kitchen and are a favorite in Germany as well as Austria. Found this on a web page and they looked good enough to try. Using this as a place to save my find!
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 cups ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Add about a third of the sugar and whisk it inches
- When the mixture looks glossy, add another third of the sugar and whisk it in until the mixture is glossy again.
- Whisk in the final third of the sugar, then the lemon juice and almond extract.
- Remove 3/4 cup of this meringue and put it in the refrigerator.
- Put the rolled oats in a food processor and process briefly until they look like coarse meal. (If you don't have a food processor, use the oats as they are.)
- Fold them into the egg mixture along with the ground almonds and cinnamon.
- Stir the mixture into a stiff dough, form it into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F
- Line 2 cookie sheets with baking parchment.
- Place another sheet of parchment or wax paper on a counter, place the dough on it, and cover with another sheet.
- Roll out the dough between the sheets of parchment until it is 1/3 inch thick.
- Cut with a star-shape cookie cutter and transfer to the prepared cookie sheets with a spatula.
- With a small spatula or a flexible knife blade, spread about a teaspoonful of the reserved meringue on each star.
- Bake for 25 minutes.