1 hr 5 mins
This is a not so sweet, absolutely fluffy, buttery, scrumptious Austrian delicacy, that is usually served for breakfast and afternoon tea/coffee. It makes a very nice homemade gift/give away, that stays fresh for a couple of days and works especially well with rose hip jam and butter. Prep Time comes without resting time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Warm milk to medium heat, add sugar and yeast.
- 2Stir until yeast has dissolved.
- 3Add lemon cest, if using, and 1 egg to the warm milk/yeast/sugar mixture.
- 4Sift 500g flour into a bowl and pour in milk mixture, salt and melted butter.
- 5Knead to a soft and shiny dough using a mixer or kitchen machine/food processor. The longer you knead, the better/fluffier the result.
- 6Form a ball out of dough and let rest covered with a kitchen towel until its volume has doubled (up to 1 hour guesstimate).
- 7Separate dough into 3 equal portions, knead again and form long, inch thick rounds.
- 8Braid/shape the three dough rolls like you would a pig tail.
- 9Mix the second egg with a dash of salt and 1 tsp sugar.
- 10Brush surface of dough with this mixture (keep a bit of this mixture for later) and let rest again for 30 minutes.
- 11Then bake brioche at 180°C for about 30-45 minutes. In case the surface darkens too soon, cover with aluminium foil.
- 12Take brioche out about 5 minutes before it is done and brush with the rest of the egg glaze.
- 13Sprinkle with almonds and return brioche (uncovered) to oven.
- 14Bake until done.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Austrian Brioche (Germzopf)
Serving Size: 1 (1061 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3285.6
- Calories from Fat 1026
- Total Fat 114.1 g
- Saturated Fat 61.3 g
- Cholesterol 619.8 mg
- Sodium 3373.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 480.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.6 g
- Sugars 77.4 g
- Protein 84.6 g