Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This can be prepared and then frozen until baking time. It's fantastic for breakfast and with afternoon tea or coffee.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (pepperidge farm recommended)
- 1 large green apple (Granny Smith)
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 8 -10 dried apricot halves, cut in quarters
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Thaw puff pastry.
- Cut and core apple and chop into small pieces, 1/2-inch size.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add apple, raisins and apricots.
- Mix well and saute' a few minutes.
- Add water, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Place pastry on a flat surface and distribute apple mixture down the middle of pastry sheet.
- Make 2 1/2-inch cuts diagonally along both sides of exposed pastry and 1 1/2-inch intervals.
- Fold strips over apples alternating from left to right.
- Press dough together where ends overlap.
- With fork tines, seal the top and bottomedge of dough.
- At this point refrigerate for 30 minutes or wrap and freeze for later use.
- At time of baking, place strudel on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, or use an insulated cookie sheet to prevent overbrowning of bottom of the pastry.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until strudel is light golden.