Recipe by jillybean1961
I lived in Brisbane for 18 months in 1988-1989. While there I picked up a cookbook used in high schools to teach home ec. There I found the nicest shepherd's pie that my family still enjoys. Sometimes I make two, and freeze one, and I ALWAYS make a big one so we can have for lunch the next day.
Top Review by Heatherbelle2
Technically this is a Cottage Pie as it is based on ground beef. A Shepherd's Pie is based on ground lamb - and finely chopped leftover lamb from a roast is extra good. The recipe posted is a good basic one for either Cottage or Shepherd's Pie. Most Aussie home cooks have their own variations on this classic comfort food. Thank you for posting.
- 6 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 600 g ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, cook mince, onion and carrot till mince is cooked through. Drain fat.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. If mixture is wetter than you light, add tablespoon of flour and stir.
- Place meat mixture in casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.