Recipe by kymgerberich
For the 'zaar World Tour 2005
Top Review by Sarah
I haven't yet made this, but just wanted to clarify the name for some non-Aussies on this website. If you ask for pepper steak in Australia, you will get a piece of steak crusted with coarsely crushed mixed peppercorns. What are referred to as green peppers in this recipe are known as capsicum over here. This does sound like a delicious recipe though, one I will hopefully get to make soon.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 lbs round steaks, sliced to 1/8 inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups green peppers, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet; add the steak, onions and garlic and cook over high heat until the meat is browned.
- Add the salt, pepper, green pepper, broth, and tomatoes; cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes.
- Mix together the cornstarch, Worcestershire sauce, and water and stir into the meat mixture.
- Cook, stirring steadily until thickened.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.