Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A little bit different from Welsh Rabbit, this features beef and cheese served over English muffins. From the Complete Round the World Meat Cookbook.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 177.44 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml chopped green pepper
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 236.59 ml beer
- 709.77 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- toasted English muffin
- Melt the butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers and saute 5 minutes.
- Add meat and cook until browned, stirring almost constantly.
- Add salt, cayenne and beer.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Serve over toasted English muffins.
This is a unique recipe for sure. I was concerned it had no thickening agent, and it was a tad thinner than I would have cared for, HOWEVER, those nooks and crannies of the English muffins soaked up the juices well. I did add a "leetle" garlic and a squirt of dijon to the sauce. I love Welsh rarebit so I knew I would like this. The family enjoyed it as well. Please take care to add the cheese VERY slowly and stir constantly while doing it or you may end up with one oily clump!!