1/3 Photos of Australian Damper
This is the bread made by drovers in the Australian outback. It's great camping food as it's traditonally cooked in the coals of a camp fire.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The best way to make this is to mix together the dry ingredients then add the liquid and butter and mix well and then knead it for about 5 minutes.
- 2Then wrap it in a double layer of greased foil and place it in the coals of the campfire, poking it in and retrieving it a bit later hoping it's done.
- 3I've also had it where you just throw the dough into the coals and pull off the blacked outside when it's done and eat the inner part.
- 4To cook it in the oven preheat to 350 degrees F.
- 5Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and mix well. Rub or cut in the butter. Stir in the milk to form a dough.
- 6Shape into a flattened ball and place on a greased baking sheet or in a round cake tin and bake for about 30 minutes.
- 7Doing it this way though is not traditional and just won't taste the same.
- 8You eat it straight away while still hot in thick slices with butter, golden syrup, jam or vegemite.
- 9This is great camping food and always brings back many happy camping memories.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Australian Damper
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.8
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 1075.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 10.0 g