Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an adopted recipe and a very welcome addition to my family. I have made this cheesecake and will be making it again. I hope you will too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs ((aussies can use Nice or Marie biscuits instead)
- 6 tablespoons butter, Melted (DO NOT substitute margarine.)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, Granulated
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, Granulated
- 3 large eggs, Separated
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, Grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons passion fruit
- NOTE: Prebaked crusts are much crisper than the chilled ones and this can be important if you want a crisp crust.
- CRUST: If you are prebaking the shell, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the crumbs in a mixing bowl and add the butter and sugar blending well.
- Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of an 8-inch springform pan.
- Smooth the mixture to form an even layer on the bottom and sides.
- Bake the crust in the oven for 10 minutes and let cool to room temperature before filling.
- NOTE: This crust can be chilled for 5 to 10 minutes in the freezer until it is set but is not recommended in this recipe.
- CHEESECAKE: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Beat in the flour, lemon rind, lemon juice, and vanilla until just mixed.
- Whip the cream until stiff in a medium mixing bowl.
- Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, then fold them into the cheese mixture.
- Fold in the reserved whipped cream.
- Stir in the passion fruit pulp then pour the mixture into the prepared crust and bake fro 45 minutes to 1 hour.(I strained out the seeds, but that is a personal preference).
- Cool, in the oven, to room temperature, then chill.