1/5 Photos of Australian Bush Bread - Damper
Damper is the bush-bread of Australia. Drovers (cowboys) baked Damper in camp ovens buried in the hot ashes of their camp fires in the Outback, but if you don"t want to build a camp fire in your backyard, damper can also be baked in a normal kitchen oven. To eat a damper: Cut the damper into rustic chunky slices, spread a liberal amount of butter on the damper and top with either jam, honey or Golden Syrup. YUM.. You just got to have a cuppa with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and make a well in the middle.
- 2Pour in the milk and mix.
- 3Grease the camp oven or round baking pan and dust with flour.
- 4Place dough in the camp oven or pan.
- 5Cut a cross in the top surface of dough.
- 6Close lid of camp oven and bake in the hot ashes of your camp fire for about thirty minutes, or bake in preheated normal kitchen oven for 30 minutes at 220° C (425° F).
- 7Eat with a cup of tea, boiled in a billy.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Australian Bush Bread - Damper
Serving Size: 1 (869 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2004.2
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 51.2 mg
- Sodium 7692.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 388.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 61.4 g