Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Damper is the bush-bread of Australia. Drovers (cowboys) baked Damper in camp ovens buried in the hot ashes of their camp fires in the Outback, but if you don"t want to build a camp fire in your backyard, damper can also be baked in a normal kitchen oven. To eat a damper: Cut the damper into rustic chunky slices, spread a liberal amount of butter on the damper and top with either jam, honey or Golden Syrup. YUM.. You just got to have a cuppa with it.
- 4 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- butter, for greasing the pan
- extra flour
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Pour in the milk and mix.
- Grease the camp oven or round baking pan and dust with flour.
- Place dough in the camp oven or pan.
- Cut a cross in the top surface of dough.
- Close lid of camp oven and bake in the hot ashes of your camp fire for about thirty minutes, or bake in preheated normal kitchen oven for 30 minutes at 220° C (425° F).
- Eat with a cup of tea, boiled in a billy.
This was very quick to put together, I liked this with hot honey butter. I have made both kinds 1 with self rising and one without and found that yours had a more denser smooth texture however I loved them both, thanks for posting!!!
This is probably the first ever thing I made on my own at about age 9 while camping. Grab a tennis ball size piece of dough and wrap it around a thick long twig (should be about 10 cm/ 4 inches long) remember the twig needs to be long. Carefully cook over your camp fire not in the fire, turning often for about 5-8 minutes. Serve hot with golden syrup. This can be baked too, but the flavour is not the same. My kids now help make this at our annual camping trip, when there are no fire restrictions.
My daughter is doing a report on Australia tomorrow and I've struggled with what to make for it. All I know about Australian food is Vegimite and that nobody else likes it. So I was thrilled when I heard about this bread! Even better is that all the ingredients are on hand and its so simple! Thank you!