Recipe by diner524
I got this recipe from "The Barbecue Bible", by Steven Raichlen. Haven't tried this yet, but wanted to save it with my recipes, as my family loves wings. Time does not include 4 hour marinading time.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
These are awesome wings! The combination of the marinade AND basting sauce was wonderful and complemented one another very well. My family gobbled these wings right down. Thank you mate! Made for ZWT8 Australia/NZ
- 12 chicken wings, whole (about 2 1/2 -3 lbs)
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup australian beer, such as Foster's
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (small)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced (fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup australian beer, such as Foster's
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the wings under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Make 2 or 3 deep slashes, to the bone, in the meaty part of each wing. Place the chicken in large nonreactive bowl and then stir in next 6 ingredients. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 4 hours, turning the wings occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the barbecue sauce. Heat oil in a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger and hot pepper flakes and saute, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the onion and garlic are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer the sauce gently until thick and richly flavored, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and measure out about 1 cup. Set it aside for serving.
- Preheat the gril to medium-high.
- When ready tto cook, oil the grill grate. Drain the wings and arrange them on the hot grate, pulling them open to expose as much skin as possible to the flames. Grill, turning several times with tongs, until the thicker wing sections are no longer pink near the bone, 12 to 16 minutes in all. Start brushing the wings with sauce the last 5 minutes, then transfer to a platter and brush with sauce again.
- Serve accompanied by the reserved sauce.