Recipe by Member #610488
Meat pies have a long and iconic history in Australia and also New Zealand. This recipe is for a bacon and egg pie traditionally eaten for breakfast but is good anytime, especially when Australian Rules football is on the telly.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
A very interesting pie! I used one 9-inch pie crust and made one pie, using all the filling ingredients. Took about 20 minutes for the pie to brown nicely. The filling was cooked perfectly. Made for ZWT8,
- 5 eggs
- 1 large potato, peeled
- 4 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 1⁄3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 white onion, sliced
- 2 (14 1/8 ounce) packages9-inch refrigerated pie crusts (each package should hold two crusts)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Boil the potato until it's soft and then drain and cut it into slices. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon slices until slightly crispy and then drain on a paper towel. Break into small pieces. Set aside. Using the same pan, fry the onions on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Drain and set side.
- Beat one egg with a fork and set aside to use as egg wash.
- Open one package of pie dough and lay each pie dough on lightly floured work surface. Using one (4 x 5 inch) pie tin, place the pie tin on each pastry dough and cut a slightly larger circle around it. This is the top crust. Discard excess dough.
- Lightly grease 2 (4 x 5 inch) pie tins. Open the second package of pie dough and gently press 1 pastry circle into the bottom of each pie tin. Press the dough up the sides and around the rim.
- Line each pie with a slice of potato, then a layer of bacon and onion. Sprinkle on the cheese and add several tomato pieces. Crack 2 eggs into each pie.
- Brush the rim with egg wash. Cover each pie with the top crust and push it down with your fingers.
- Brush the top with more egg wash. Press around the rim of each pie with the back of a fork to seal.
- Using a sharp knife, make a small incision in the top of each pie to allow for steam to escape. Sprinkle on some sesame seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes. Serve hot or cold with tomato sauce.